Thursday, November 6, 2014

TV Shows, a Weird Day, and a Workout

My favorite TV shows so far this season:
  • Marry Me (SO much like Happy Endings, which is one of my favorite shows of all time)
  • Mindy Project
  • Brooklyn 99
  • Modern Family
  • The Middle (<--I just got into this one, and I haven't really watched any of the other seasons, but I think it's hilarious)
  • New Girl
I also watched a few episodes of A to Z and Manhattan Love Story, but I hear they were both already canceled. I'm going to start Blackish (the pilot was awesome), and I feel like I should get into a drama or reality show to add some diversity to my comedy-only list, but I don't have any on my must-watch list. Recommendations?


Today was a weird one. Marshall slept well last night (have to admit, he seems pretty comfortable in his crib), but he did wake up around 12:45 and didn't get back to sleep until 1:45. I'm still adjusting to the whole idea of him not being right next to me, so I stayed awake until I knew he was asleep, which involved:
- creeping into his room multiple times after I had fed him to see if he was asleep (he wasn't)
- sitting outside his door for about 30 minutes so I could just pop back in if he needed me (he didn't)
- seriously considering sleeping on his floor so that at least I could sleep (I didn't)
- going back to my own bed several times and trying to tell myself he would be fine and would fall asleep on his own (he did, but I didn't believe it until I saw it)

It's a process. So anyway, when he woke up this morning (not until 6:45!), he was just all awake and happy in his crib. I brought him back to my room to eat, and then we hung out for a while before he fell asleep again. I won't lie; I was pretty grateful. I needed more sleep, too! We napped another few hours and then Marshall ate and fell asleep on me so I gladly cuddled him until almost 11 am! I know these days are numbered, so I just went with it and breathed in his sweet baby scent.

When we finally woke up for the day, rested and happy, I realized I had lots of fun (albeit ambitious, with a five-month-old) plans, but then he took yet another nap and we didn't leave the house until after 2 pm. Ah, to be a baby and sleep all day...

First up: HomeGoods. I took down Marshall's co-sleeper yesterday (so sad), which opened up a huge void in my heart our room. We used to store a bunch of "Marshall stuff" in there--diapers, changing pad, wipes, extra clothes, burp cloths, blankets, etc.--so that we don't always have to change him in his room. Sometimes in the morning Terry will offer to burp/change Marshall while he gets ready for work, and we also do the whole bedtime routine in our room, so it's nice to have all that stuff right there. With the co-sleeper gone, I wanted a simple basket to store everything neatly. I found a good one, but I don't have a photo to share yet. I'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seat waiting for me to post one, so I'll follow through with that soon.

Next: Carter's. I mentioned to some of my new friends yesterday that I wanted some warmer footed sleepers for Marshall because his room is an icebox, and they suggested Carter's. One of the girls texted me this morning to say they were having a huge sale, and she also offered me her 25% off coupon, so I had no excuse but to check it out!


I bought two fleece sleepers, a pair of sweatpants, and two sets of onesies that I'm not totally sure I'll keep. I need to take a little inventory of Marshall's 12-month clothes before I decide. (The baseball sleeper on the left is from Marshall's, which was right next door, so...)

I also needed to go to Costco (greens, butter, fruit, and ground turkey) and the grocery store (buns, mozzarella). It was Day-O-Errands around here, and I'm grateful that my little guy was up for the adventure!

 Sadly, late in the afternoon Terry called with the bad news that he has to work all weekend. We scratched our plan to meet for a run this afternoon, so now I'm regretting that I didn't get more movement in throughout the day. I hope I can make up for it this weekend!

By the way, here's a fantastic full-body workout made up of compound exercises (exercises that use at least two major muscle groups) I did recently. You can complete it twice through for an extra challenge, but one round took me less than 15 minutes, so it's a quick one. Adding on the EMOM burpees got a good sweat going!


 

Some notes and links to proper form:
Plie Squat with Upright Row
Plank with Row
Squat + Shoulder Press (scroll down to #5)
One-Leg Wide Row (<--similar, but do a wide row instead of a regular row): Stand on one leg, careful not to lock the knee. Lower the upper body down as close to parallel to the ground as possible, keeping the back straight and hips aligned. Complete the wide rows from this position, using the core and hamstrings to maintain balance.
Stationary Lunge with Curl
Stationary Lunge with Lateral Raise
Glute Bridge + Chest Press
*Bicycle Crunches (x2): Complete 30 reps total (right + left = 1 rep)
*Calf raises (x3) + Reverse Curl: I guess it's obvious, but it's 3 calf raises and then one reverse biceps curl (that's one rep).
EMOM 10 Burpees: Every minute on the minute for 10 minutes, complete 5 burpees. That's 50 total!

It's a fun one! Well, fun for me. I realize not all people find this type of thing fun, but at least you can do it indoors with just a pair of dumbbells, and it'll be over before you know it.


So now that Terry's working most of the weekend my plans have shifted to running more errands, lots of meal prep, and finding fun activities for Marshall, like rolling over the other way. And our friend is visiting on Sunday to meet Marshall!

What's your weekend looking like? 

Any TV shows I should be watching? What's your favorite? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment