Thursday, April 14, 2016

Rain, Baseball, and a Sparkling Kitchen

Well hello there friends! This month has been much better than last so far, but April is certainly keeping us busy. We're enjoying several weekends at home (as opposed to traveling), and it's wonderful to take it a little easier. 

So last weekend, my parents came to visit! We had a blast visiting with them, giving them time with Marshall, and taking advantage of their presence to enjoy a date night and some productivity around the house. It did rain most days they were here, but we made the most of it!

Tiny tot with an umbrella--too cute, right?




My mom is known for her inability to relax or sit down for more than five minutes, which has some major advantages. While Marshall napped one day, she made our kitchen sparkle! I swear, the kitchen hasn't been this clean EVER.

She also customized these curtains for us. I love them! 

Friday night, Terry and I left Marshall with my parents and headed out for a date! 


Our first stop was dinner at Rustic Canyon, a restaurant we've been wanting to try for a while. The owners also own several other restaurants we love, like Huckleberry and Sweet Rose Creamery, so we knew we'd love this place, too. But we didn't realize HOW great it would be! While expensive, the dishes were all packed with unique flavors and original combinations. We ordered three dishes to share (the restaurant is tapas-inspired, so the plates are all shared and come out at various times): the burrata with housemade bread and beet jam, ricotta dumplings, and pozole. Everything was amazing! Terry says it was the second best meal of his life (first favorite was this one). I thought the pozole was one of the most unique dishes I've ever tasted.

After dinner, we decided to head somewhere else for dessert, so we chose Urth Cafe on Main Street in Santa Monica. We each got hot chocolate and ordered a banana cream pie to share. Somehow we snagged a table right next to the fireplace, and the ambiance felt so cozy! I left feeling crazy full but satisfied with an awesome night with my hubby.  



Saturday, we had tickets for the UCLA Baseball game! My parents stayed behind, but the three of us had a blast.

It was Marshall's first baseball game!

We only stayed for a few innings because it was rainy and time to get home for dinner, but Marshall really enjoyed it and seemed pretty into holding a glove.



I'd say my parents and Marshall had a pretty darn great time. My parents also brought him a set of kitchen toys (fake food, utensils, etc.) and he probably spent at least five hours playing with those. 



Until next time--we miss them already!


Also, since this blog was supposed to focus a little bit on health and food, I thought I'd share our favorite breakfast around here lately: eggs (either fried or scrambled with some spinach), fruit, and toast with butter. 

I would eat this meal every morning if I could! (But we also run out of eggs really fast around here!)

Marshall agrees. :-) 


Here's to a great weekend, and also here's hoping I'll be back before another three week break hits me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment